Planning your baby’s feeding sessions in advance is the best way to ensure a smooth process for both you and your little one. With that in mind, it’s a good idea for moms who are breastfeeding to pump milk in advance. This is what my fiancée did, especially whenever she had to go to work and I had to take care of our baby. If you’ve already bought one of the Medela pumps, you may be wondering what bottles fit a Medela pump.
Medela breast pumps can be made to fit most bottles using special adaptors that connect from the pump flange to the bottle. Medela bottles and Dr Brown bottles are two of the top brands that don’t require an adaptor and easily fit onto the Medela breast pumps.
- Most bottles easily fit onto the Medela breast pumps by using the right adaptor
- Evenflo, Dr Brown and ParentsChoice bottles don’t require an adaptor to fit
- Medela has been providing breastfeeding equipment for over 60 years, making them industry experts in providing quality products
- The Medela brand has several breast pumps, making it easy to choose the right one for your specific needs
Medela pump models to consider
Medela has been well-known in the breastfeeding industry for more than 60 years, making the brand a firm favorite among new and experienced moms. Relying on lactation experts, from around the globe, the brand ensures that its products provide mothers with all the benefits associated with breastfeeding. My fiancée also loves Medela – since she works in a pharmacy, consulting other moms, she knows this brand quite well..
There are a bunch of Medela pump options to consider. The most common options are listed below.
- Medela Symphony Breast Pump Kit
The Medela Symphony Breast Pump is a hospital-grade kit that includes x2 breast shields, x2 connectors, 2 milk bottles with lids, 2 tubes, 2 valves, 4 membranes and 2 membrane caps. As a comfortable, all-in-one kit this model is a popular option for new moms.
- Functions as a single or double breast pump
- Contains 5-ounce breast milk bottles with lids
- Adjustable suction
- 24mm flange size makes it ideal for all standard bottles
- All-in-one kit makes it convenient
- Easy to clean
- Volume measurements can be hard to read
- Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
The Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump is the ideal model for moms who may need a manual option for when they’re away from home, or not near an electric outlet. In addition to this quality pump, the package also includes a 24mm Personal Fit Flex Breast Shield, one 5 oz feeding bottle, lid, stand, valve, membrane and a Harmony Connector.
- Lightweight and discreet enough to fit into your handbag
- Flex technology ensures a 105-degree angle and oval shape to ensure the better fitting shield
- 2 Phase technology mimics natural baby-sucking behavior
- Easy to use and clean
- Made from BPA-free materials
- Hand pumping can make your hand tired
- Only one size breast shield provided
- Medela MaxFlow Breast Pump
The MaxFlow model of the Medela Breast Pump range features the MaxFlow technology which is clinically proven to increase milk volume by at least 11.8% in less time. Additionally, all the regular features have been maxed to the next level to make this pump more powerful than most other breast pumps.
- Max Ease technology ensures automatic letdown and massage mode cycles
- Max flexibility features a battery pack with double and single pumping options
- Maximum comfort levels provided by oval-shaped breast shields
- Two flange sizes to choose from
- Superior tubing
- Lacks a sign to show a suction level
- Suction is weaker at times
- Medela Swing Maxi Double Electric Pump
Growing in popularity, the Medela Swing Maxi model is fast on its way to becoming a firm favorite. Designed with fewer parts and more technological features, it’s easy to see why it’s many mom’s go-to breast pump choice!
- 2-Phase Expression technology simulates baby’s natural sucking pattern resulting in 18% more milk being expressed
- The closed system design boasts Overflow Protection to prevent breast milk from entering the tubing
- Fully portable and features a built-in rechargeable battery that allows for 1,5 hours of pumping
- Flex breast shields mold to suit the shape of your breast ensuring optimal fit
- Accessories include a backpack with a cooler pocket
- More milk per session
- Rechargeable battery
- Two-sized breast shields
- Fewer parts to clean
- Not as powerful as double electric Medela models
Here’s a short clip to show you how easy it is to use the Medela Swing Maxi Breast Pump.
What bottles are typically used for Medela pumps?
Fortunately, with the right adaptor, most bottles can be used with any of the Medela pumps. However, if you don’t want to have the hassle of buying an additional adaptor, the most common bottles to use that will work with your Medela pump are Medela, Lifefactory, Evenflo and Dr Brown bottles. Essentially, the bottles you use on a Medela pump should have a standard narrow neck.
Can you use different brand bottles with all Medela pump models?
Medela breast pumps are compatible with many bottle brands such as Medela, Evenflo and Lifefactory. Other brands will require a special adaptor to connect the bottleneck to the pump flange. Some of these include:
- Born Free
- Philips Avent
- Tommee Tippee
It’s important to note that MAM and Breastflow bottles don’t fit on any of the Medela breast pumps. There also isn’t an adaptor for the MAM neck size. But there are some great bottles similar to MAM bottles so you might be able to switch to those without your baby noticing the change!?
Bottles that are compatible with the Medela pump
It’s a relief for many parents to learn that most bottles can work with the various Medela pumps with the right adaptor. Here’s a list of bottle brands that are compatible with Medela pumps.
|Bottle Brand||Medela Pumps (Standard flanges allow adaptors to work on all their models)|
|Philips Avent||Yes, with an adaptor|
|Lansinoh||Yes, with an adaptor|
|Tommee Tippee||Yes, with an adaptor|
|Pigeon||Yes, with adaptor|
Do Dr Brown’s bottles fit the Medela pump?
Parents who love the Dr Brown bottles will be delighted to know that they easily fit the Medela pumps without an adaptor.
Do Avent bottles fit the Medela pump?
Philips Avent has a nifty adaptor that makes them easily compatible with all of the Medela pumps in the range.
Do Evenflo bottles fit the Medela pump?
Evenflo is one of the few bottle brands that can fit the Medela breast pump range without needing an adaptor. This is because their neck matches the size of the pump flange.
Do Lansinoh bottles fit the Medela pump?
To use your Lansinoh bottle with a Medela pump you’ll need the Lansinoh Pump Adaptor. Additionally, this adaptor will also enable you to pump milk directly into a variety of Milk Storage Bags.
Do Parents Choice bottles fit the Medela pumps?
Many parents opt for Parents Choice bottles because in some instances they’re more affordable than some of the more famous brands. The good news is that these bottles easily fit into Medela pumps without requiring any additional adaptors. Additionally, Parents Choice bottles provide the same great quality as Mendela bottles.
Do Tommee Tippee Bottles fit Medela pump?
Tommee Tippee bottles require the standard Tommee Tippee adapter. These adapters have a wide end that connects to the bottle and a narrow neck for the breast pump.
Do Pigeon bottles fit a Medela Pump?
Pigeon bottles are easy to use with your Medela pump. You might need a special adaptor, depending on the size of your bottle. There are a few popular conversion kits that make it easier for your Medela pump to pump into your pigeon bottles. Some parents have had success with the Maymom Conversion Kit.
Do Medela bottles fit a Medela Pump?
Medela bottles can easily fit on the pump without needing an adaptor. Ideally, the Medela bottles are the ideal options to use with it’s accompanying pump.
With years of expertise, it’s easy to see why parents opt for choosing Medela pumps above others. It’s also good news that many bottles fit with a Medela breast pump. All you have to do is ensure that you opt for the right size adaptor!
What about the case of another popular brand, such as pumps from Spectra – which bottles fit those? Or bottles compatible with Lansinoh pumps or bottles for BabyBuddha breast pump. Or what about compatibility for Bellababy pumps? Those are some similar topic I covered other articles.