This article takes a look at the different features of these two top brands. Understanding what’s on offer from each one will make it easier to pick the one best for your baby. Keep reading for a list of differences between NUK and Tommee Tippee.
NUK vs Tommee Tippee bottles – differences and similarities
To get a detailed picture of the differences between these two popular brands, let’s dive right into their differences and similarities.
- Tommee Tippee: This parent-favorite brand features two types of anti-colic bottles to prevent the onset of gas and other colic symptoms. The Advanced Anti-Colic Baby Bottle uses a valve and tube to reduce the air intake. Additionally, the TommeeTippee Closer to Nature is a favorite because it features an anti-colic valve that’s inserted into the nipple.
- NUK: An advantage of the NUK anti-colic bottles is that their twin valves perform the same function but with fewer components. Anti-colic bottles are a great way to prevent reflux, gas and early colic onset.
- Tommee Tippee: With Tommee Tippee all their plastic bottles are BPA-free, so constructed using a polypropylene material (which is BPA-free). Glass bottles are made using 100% medical-grade glass.
- NUK: As with the Tommee Tippee, NUK is also made with BPA-free plastic. The Tritan plastic used doesn’t stain or retain odor.
Ease of Cleaning
- Tommee Tippee: The Advanced Anti-Colic bottles have more parts to clean which can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning but parents soon get the hang of it. With the anti-colic benefits, it’s a small sacrifice to make.
- NUK: With fewer components, NUK bottles are easier to clean. They’re easier to sterilize or sanitize.
- Tommee Tippee: All Tommee Tippee bottles and their components are dishwasher-safe. Since there are smaller parts, it’s always a good idea to place them on the top rack of the dishwasher.
- NUK: You can easily wash your NUK bottle and components in the dishwasher. A good idea is to use a dishwasher basket specifically for these small parts.
- Tommee Tippee: While some parents have mentioned leaks, the trick to preventing this is to make sure the lids are screwed on correctly. Follow instructions to match the line on the inside of the bottle.
- NUK: This brand is popular for its no-leak ratings. Parents enjoy that there isn’t the same struggle with potential leaks that you might find in Tommee Tippee.
Whatever bottle you opt for, leaking is a possibility. Read my article about leaks and how to prevent them.
- Tommee Tippee: These nipples are slightly bigger than your average bottle nipple as they’re designed to resemble the mother’s breast. This makes latching easier while the silicone material enables flexing when feeding. Do note that the different nipples aren’t interchangeable with other brands or Tommee Tippee bottles. Be sure to buy a few extra nipples to match your bottle.
- NUK: The teats of NUK bottles are modeled to match a mother’s nipple. This serves to prevent colic symptoms and to make transitioning between bottle and breast easier.
- Tommee Tippee: All the bottles and components are microwave-safe but I advise not warming the milk with this method as it can make the milk too hot. Rather use your microwave to clean the bottles by placing them in a bowl of water and then heating them up.
- NUK: The manufacturer recommends that the plastic bottles not be warmed or sterilized in the microwave. Rather clean them on the stove or dishwasher. To warm milk, warm in a separate jug if your warming method is the microwave.
The variety of NUK bottle options includes the following:
- NUK Simply Natural: Extra soft nipples provide a natural feel.
- NUK Baby Bottles Perfect Fit: A special nipple designed to accommodate the baby’s tongue while sucking.
- NUK Gerber Natural Baby Bottles: Designed to make switching between breast and bottle much easier.
Learn about how NUK bottles can be an alternative to Tommee Tippee bottles in my separate article.
- Perfect Fit Nipple means it’s easy to alternate between breast and bottle
- Anti-colic system
- Glass bottles feature silicone protectors
- Available in sizes 5oz, 9oz, 10oz
- Angled nipples accommodate the baby’s tongue during feeding
- Nipples easily fit the shape of the baby’s palate
- Perfect Fit nipple makes latching easier
- Seldom leak
- Stain-resistant plastic
- Tight cap makes assembly difficult
- Nipple tends to move
Do Tommee Tippee teats fit NUK Bottles?
No. The Tommee Tippee teats are wider necks and will therefore be too big for a NUK.
Tommee Tippee bottles
The variety of Tommee Tippee bottles includes the following:
- Closer to Nature Baby Bottle: Shaped to resemble the mother’s breast with an included anti-colic valve in the nipple. Flexible nipple and easy 3-way hold design.
- Pump and Go: A breast milk pouch holder designed for breastfeeding moms. Also includes a nipple.
- Advanced Anti-Colic Baby Bottle: Unique venting system to prevent colic and reflux symptoms by 80%.
- Glass bottles & silicone bottles: The Closer to Nature range also features bottles available in glass or silicone.
- Anti-colic valve in all nipples
- Available in various sizes
- Easy to hold design
- Shaped & textured to resemble mom’s breast
- Available in glass, plastic and silicone
- Innovative internal venting system
- Available in clear & variety of colors
- Ergonomic design for comfortable holding
- Easy to disassemble & clean
- Minimal nipple confusion
- Numbers come off after a few washes
- Bottles eventually start discoloring
Do NUK teats fit Tommee Tippee Bottles?
NUK disposable teats have a 40mm threaded bottle collar. This means they’ll easily fit Classic bottles. They won’t fit wide-neck bottles such as Tommee Tippee. They’ll also not fit any bottles with a 50mm thread.
Watch this short clip to see how easy it is to assemble a Tommee Tippee Bottle
When it comes to choosing the ideal bottles for your baby, it’s important to opt for one that’s not only easy to use but comfortable for your baby. I found the Tommee Tippee easier to use because of its ergonomic design and its teats that resemble mom’s breasts. The anti-colic feature is a huge bonus for colicky babies!
Last update on 2023-12-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API