Anti-colic bottles are designed to reduce bubbles or air that’s swallowed when feeding a baby. It reduces gas bubbles in the stomach and even slows down food intake. These bottles have the potential to reduce colicky fussing or crying. But how long do you need to use anti-colic bottles?
Parents tend to stop using anti-colic bottles when a baby is able to sit up on their own. Additionally, babies stop using anti-colic bottles when they’re able to eat solid foods. You can stop using this type of bottle when your baby stops showing signs of gas or reflux.
- Anti-colic bottles are designed to minimize the air swallowed when feeding babies
- Babies start colic when they reach 6 weeks old
- You can stop using anti-colic bottles when a baby reaches 3 to 4 months
- The symptoms of colic are due to a growing digestive system
- You can use anti-colic bottles as normal bottles
- You can remove the air vent from Philips and Dr. Brown bottles
What is the function of an anti-colic bottle?
Anti-colic bottles, when compared to normal ones, are specially designed to minimize the amount of air swallowed by babies during feeding. They come with an additional internal venting system that reduces air when your baby is feeding. It’s also designed to slow down milk flow.
This helps ensure constant pressure within the bottle throughout feeding and results in fewer air bubbles being released into your baby’s digestive tract. Anti-colic bottles also come with special features such as controlled flow nipples, ergonomic design for increased comfort and support for both mother and baby, and a variety of colors or designs made from high-quality materials.
How long should you use anti-colic bottles?
You can use anti-colic baby bottles for as long as your baby has colic. Babies start getting colic around 6 weeks old. The symptoms of colic usually decrease when a baby reaches 3 to 4 months of age. When you start to notice that colic is starting to dissipate you can stop using anti-colic bottles.
How long does a colic baby need an anti-colic bottle for?
A baby will need an anti-colic bottle for as long as they have colic. The symptoms of colic are due to a baby having an underdeveloped or growing digestive system with muscles that spasm. This can cause a baby to fuss and cry even when they’re perfectly healthy.
An anti-colic bottle can reduce the symptoms of a colicky baby so it’s better to use the right bottles to make it easier on the baby’s stomach.
Can you use anti-colic bottles as normal bottles?
Even if your baby doesn’t have colic, you can still use the bottle for feeding. They are safe to use on babies that are perfectly healthy. The only difference between an anti-colic and a normal bottle is that the colic bottle prevents the amount of air the baby takes in when feeding. They might be the ideal bottles to use for babies that have reflux.
Why you’d want to keep anti-colic baby bottles
Due to an anti-colic bottle’s special design, it offers a safe, gentle way of feeding your baby without risking painful gas or stomach issues. But there are other reasons you may want to keep these bottles such as:
- To save money: Anti-colic bottles can be on the expensive side due to the way the bottles are made. Brands such as Dr. Brown and Mam anti-colic bottles are excellent to keep and save money on especially if you plan on having another baby.
- Your baby is used to the bottle: Even if your baby doesn’t have colic you can still use them as normal bottles. It may be best to continue using the bottles if your baby is used to the size and feel of them.
- It’s good quality: Anti-colic bottles have some of the best designs on the market making them excellent quality compared to other types. You may want to keep them because they’re durable and easy to clean.
- It works better than normal baby bottles: Anti-colic bottles tend to operate better than normal bottles in terms of having control over milk flow. It has a slower milk flow which prevents choking.
Bottles that allow you to remove the vent in anti-colic bottles
Some bottle brands allow you to remove the vent system in anti-colic bottles. You may want to remove the venting system to clean the bottle or to use it as a normal bottle. Here are two brands that allow you to remove the venting system.
The Philips baby bottle brand states that you can use your anti-colic bottle with or without the AirFree vent. However, Philips advises parents to continue using the bottle with the AirFree vent until the baby reaches 4 months old.
Dr. Brown bottles are very well-known in the parenting community. This is because they are of the highest quality. The brand also makes excellent anti-colic bottles. Dr. Brown’s Options+ bottle can be used with or without the internal venting system. You should only remove the venting system when your baby’s colic symptoms have disappeared.
Replacing anti-colic teats
Just like any other bottle, it’s recommended that you change your anti-colic teats once every three months. To reduce confusion you should purchase the same nipple brands to place in your anti-colic bottles. This will reduce fussing and keep your little one happy when he or she is feeding.
So the simple answer is that you can use anti-colic bottles for as long as your baby has colic. Symptoms will reduce when your baby has fully developed which is after the 4-month mark.
Anti-colic bottles though have their own pros and cons so I encourage you to read my separate article on that.
Did you know that there are so-called bottle liners which can take on the functionality of an anti-colic system (with venting)? You might want to check those out especially if you’re on the go.